Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cruise Control.net update

I have decided to disable cc.net. There isn’t anything wrong with cc.net, and I still think it’s a great tool for teams larger than one person.

The usefulness, however, for a single dev shop is limited, at best. I have spent over 10 hours working on cc.net, to get it all set up and running. All this so that I can know what I already did know: whether or not the build is broken. Since I don’t check in unless the build is working, there’s very little value added by cc.net.

Add to that the complexity inherent in keeping two machines configured with all of the tools and such that I use during the build process, and the costs greatly outweigh the benefits.

My plan is to leave the server installed, and the config files intact, so it should be an easy matter to re-enable it in the future, if I want to. If I do get involved in any multi-dev projects, I will certainly push to use cc.net. I will probably try to write a better application to monitor the build, though. The cc.net tray application takes like 60 seconds to start up.

No comments: