Friday, April 07, 2006

Big huge news

I've got a Microsoft interview scheduled! Courtney and I are going out to Seattle for 17-21 March, with my 5 SDET interviews scheduled for March 20th.

I had two phone screens before this, one with a recruiter, and one with a test manager.

MSFT presented me with 4 teams that are interested in talking to me. Guess how they choose which ones I interview with (you can only interview with 2 teams)? They asked me which ones sounded coolest to me.

The four teams were(in my coolness order):
  1. Office Live
  2. Small Business Accounting
  3. Dynamics CRM
  4. Setup and Deployment (.NET Framework)

I'll let you know how things went, and what a MSFT interview day is really like in my next post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,

Thanks for the cool posts and congrats for the job at MS. If possible could you please pass on some views.

When you interviewed for a SDET position were you working on a dev position or a tester position? basically the question is, is the SDET position good for some one who has spent around 7-8 yrs as a dev? I have just heard from MS recruiters for SDET positions and wanted to check before starting with the interviews.

thanks very much.

Cullen Waters said...

I was working as a dev; I've never been a tester, nor have I seen a place where testers wrote code before.

I spend at least 70% of my time writing code of some sort. Plus, if nothing else, it's a foot in the door, and moving teams within Microsoft is really easy.