Saturday, April 14, 2007

Endurance

I was watching Walk the Line again today. When I turned it on, something stuck me. It's amazing to me that a guy could have written songs 40 years ago that still appeal to people now. I *love* all of the music in that movie. Johnny Cash wrote some great songs.

I know there have been other artists that have written songs that stuck around a long time, but my impression, at least, is that most of them are still appealing to the people that heard the music when they were young. Generally, the music doesn't appeal to those people's children.

I certainly don't expect that Mikayla will be a fan of Rage Against the Machine when she's 29. I doubt she'll even understand what the songs are trying to tell her. Not so with Johnny Cash's music. I still get his message, and still hear his voice in the music.

Amazing.

No comments: